Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sweetgum Seed Eaters: A Myth?

In the southeast U.S. we are blessed with a sturdy deciduous tree called the Sweetgum (liquidambar styraciflua). The tree is almost as widespread as our vaunted pines, grows in a fair variety of habitats, and is a favorite of beavers. It develops spiky seed pods and these little darlings start dropping in the late fall. I have several on the property and one of my weekly tasks in the winter is to clear them off the front lawn. Now, I am reliably informed that these pods are attacked by some birds (and other creatures). My library advises that American Goldfinches eat sweetgum seeds. Presumably this carries to other seed eaters such as the House Finches. Well, this may be, but I have never observed such behavior. It surely must occur in the treetops when and where I can't see it going on. If so I am delighted something is obtaining value.
For me the sweetgum ball is one of our nastiest lawn surprises. Eat up, finches!

No comments: