Monday, April 12, 2010

Last Winter Species Hangs On

Over the glorious spring weekend here on the Piedmont I got back to the yard work and cleaning and inspecting feeders. It wasn't long before I heard the sweet song of the White Throated Sparrow amidst all the other territorial singing. And that bird also showed up in one BirdCam photo taken Saturday. So at least one winter-only species is still here, but I am not too surprised. I saw one as late as April 12 in 2008. But any day now these unobtrustive seed eaters will pack their bags and make their way to Canada. And the April morning will have one less beautiful song. And just perhaps as this one leaves town, the summer regulars will begin arriving, inasmuch as I haven't seen a one of them yet. No hummingbirds. No Catbirds. No Wood Thrushes. No Gnatcatchers. But the season is still young. Goodbye White Throateds! See you in the fall.

No comments: