Sunday, July 17, 2011

Last Wave of Nestlings

It may be the halfway point of summer down here, and it may be honking hot, but the new birds keep on coming. This weekend I spotted yet another juvenile Northern Cardinal (gracious--a third waver?) and there are signs of young House Finches, but I'm a little less certain of that. There remains one great mystery, and that's what's going on with the Eastern Bluebirds in the post box. I'm startled to see adult birds at the box, more than a week after I reached the conclusion they abandoned an egg. Well, maybe not after all. I'm leaving things alone there, but I have verified multiple sightings of birds peering through the access hole. So something must be going on, and that would likely be one of the very last nest attempts of this very busy season (apart from the always-last Goldfinches.)

No comments: