Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bird Bikers

In the space of two days, I've come across some less than pleasant American Crow "gangs".  This is of course the time of year when the typically gregarious crows come together into great mobs.  The term, I think, is a "murder".  And I was reminded why.  Just yesterday I spent time on a hiking trail south of our largest lake and at one spot found myself pelted by acorns...cast down by a murder of crows.  They were whirling and vocalizing, and I did not see any obvious predators or nuisances in the area.  But I was reminded of a gang of hellraising bikers stirring up trouble.  And this morning, we spotted another murder outside the church: a gang of birds making a racket and otherwise raising cane in their own way.  Just another fall day in the life of idle American Crows...

No comments: