Friday, December 2, 2011

Eleven Months of Seed and Suet Data

The birdfood weight measurement experiment is nearing its conclusion, and the data continue to be terribly interesting.  Let's recap: since January 1st I have been dutifully measuring sunflower seed, safflower seed and other matter as feeders are topped off.  My goal was to clearly understand what quantities are actually going out, and what the key points of year are.  What I have learned so far this year is that sunflower seed is more or less a continuous draw, except for February (a very bare month in nature's larder) and the period of August through October.  I've also proved my gut recollection that suet is a bigger draw in the breeding months than otherwise.  It's peak intensity is May through July.  And I'm quite sure catbirds are the key indicator of that trend.  Finally, September through at least late November is a time of drastic decline in consumption.  Every foodstuff has a noticeable downward trend.  I am expecting December to see a return to greater consumption.  And then, in January, I can count the pounds (or kilos)!  Stay tuned.

No comments: