Sunday, January 1, 2012

Winter Lineup: White Breasted Nuthatch

My little review of winter birds at Cary BirdCam has a few remaining characters, so permit me to start the new year by concluding that review, and then we'll pick up on January action at the feeders!  Today's spotlight is on the White Breasted Nuthatch (Sitta Carolinensis) which should be familiar to friends in almost all of North America.  Our woody buffer provides sufficient attraction to keep them in my particular area, and I can reliably count on their custom at the suet feeders.  We were very excited to enjoy a nesting pair in 2010 in one of my boxes, but they raised young in an unknown site this past spring, so I am reminded how finicky they can be.  The WBNs are also large and cranky enough to be among the more aggressive species at the suet feeders but at the same time they seem utterly indifferent to me, not even bothering to fuss and scold when I'm around.  What is it that Wilde said? The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about?  But I am fond enough of these rascals that I'll overlook the slight.  And maybe they'll honor my boxes this year?

No comments: