Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Even More Bird Art

My ceramicist friend surprised me Monday night with a new product line up of bird-inspired garden art.  And the attention to detail has really improved!  The cardinal and goldfinch were reprised, and are spot-on.  Her owl (I assume a Saw-whet) was fine work, and I couldn't say enough about the Carolina Chickadee, Eastern Bluebird (there are two here), and Ruby Throated Hummingbirds (again, two).  The Summer Tanager didn't quite make it (at top) in part because of the finch bill(!) and the misfire of the glaze.  And the Red Bellied Woodpecker was just off in the breast.  But so what.  Whatever I don't snap up will be on sale to the public at a local arts festival the first weekend in May.  And I think they may have appeal in a metro that claims a degree of "green-ness"  I encourage the work, and am appreciating recognizing real species...not just designer birds.

No comments: