Friday, May 4, 2012

In Between Fruiting Options

At last the Leatherleaf Mahonia berries have been cleaned out, with help from our friends the Gray Catbird (and the robins, cardinals, and a rogue Cedar Waxwing), and perhaps for the last time.  This inherited nasty plant has worn out its welcome with us and it is likely going to be taken out altogether this fall.  That's the plan.  In their place, we may introduce some friendlier fruiting vegetation.  That research is going on now.  One plant I can depend on is the Beautyberry.  My first is growing like gangbusters and it's even possible I will see some fruit this fall, when they would be expected.  My donor tells me it will spread.  That is music to my ears: it would be nice to see a native worm its way around the neighborhood and provide meaningful food value to the birds.  As for the mahonia--good riddance!

No comments: