Thursday, November 1, 2012

Certified Habitat Advances

I obtained a certification of wildlife habitat from the National Wildlife Federation in May 2011.  At that time I had demonstrated the property provides four basic elements: food, cover, water, and nest places.  In the 17 months since, I've made more enhancements.  We now have a wider variety of wildlife-friendly native vegetation including two new vine species and four new species of fruit-bearing shrubs.  In total we boast forty native species...at least that I've been able to document.  The number of feeders has grown, there are more nest boxes, and less exposed feeders.  I'm only missing a better water feature (planned for 2013), based on an audit by our Town's naturalists.  The plan is really coming together nicely!  Now to get cracking on a new year's advances.

No comments: