Thursday, March 28, 2013

Another Visitor About to Leave

As I checked my Bird Cam this evening, I had a close encounter with a Red Breasted Nuthatch.  They're wonderfully brave birds: it let me come within about two feet, watching me with enormous interest.  And such small creatures!   And it occurred to me that this could be my last look until next winter, or maybe not for a year or two, or three.  These nuthatches are irruptive and visit us only irregularly.  We can only realistically expect them for three times a decade.  I remember so vividly when they arrived this past fall, and I enjoyed watching their enormous energy in removing bits of food to caches in our natural area.  That seemed like only yesterday!  But summer is coming and the nuthatches must leave.  I hope the absence isn't a long one...

No comments: