Friday, July 19, 2013

A Possible First For Me

I think I have a new life lister.  This bird is clearly a Hairy Woodpecker: the bill alone confirms that fact.  But the bird is curiously different on the head, and the only other example of this type I see in these parts is a young Red Bellied Woodpecker.  My conclusion is that this is a young Hairy Woodpecker.  Which I have not knowingly observed, ever.  Here or anywhere else.  It is uncommon enough to see an HW, and seeing a distinct juvenile during that short time of the year when they are around is a higher level feat.  It is possible this is a molting adult, but...I saw an obvious non-molted adult earlier this week.  Seems odd so many feathers came off that soon.  I'll sit back and enjoy this rare moment.  A new juvenile for the Cary BirdCam back yard!

No comments: