Monday, February 10, 2014

The Cloud Gathers

One of our little winter rituals now appears to be the gathering of a large crowd (a "cloud", they tell me) of Red Winged Blackbirds, almost all males, probably junior rank birds, in my yard.  This weekend I heard what seemed like dozens in the pine trees.  Word got around the last two years that good eats were found here, I suppose.  And in the coming weeks I expect to see more and more of these genuine pests.  I deeply distrust birds that appear in large numbers.  My goal in 2014 is to make sure they don't have an easy time of it.  I have better shielded feeders and I will use them if blackbirds assault them.  They are free to scavenge on the ground for leavings.  That's it.  The shadows are coming.  The storm is coming.  The cloud...is forming.  More soon...

No comments: