Sunday, March 30, 2014

Squirrel Update

It has been a long while since my last "Squirrel Update", and the news is not good.   I am being overrun with most wretched sciurus carolinensis.  You see, I have been counting the tree rats and today confirmed at least five, with a suspected sixth.  (It's five if squirrels can move faster than my automobile).  So far at least the rats have not penetrated the feeders, although they do continue to try.  But they are insatiably hungry and even the seed leavings below the feeders can't support so many animals.  Hence I have lost some of my prized wildflowers.  Only holes exist where some of the plants once did.  And I blame Chumley and his friends.  Invariably nature will supply a resolution.  If food is so tight the natural territorial instinct should kick in and some rats will drive out others.  And there is predatory potential.  More rats = easier to nail rats.  I wonder how long this onslaught will last?

No comments: