Monday, April 14, 2014

Warblers Afield

It has been far too long since my last visit to Howell Woods Education Center, an hour's drive to my southeast.  But that was remedied today with a splendid post-migration visit.  And the birding was very good indeed.  I racked up 42 species, including several warblers.  My efforts to photograph them were stymied by these active birds!  But here's the best I managed with a pesky Prothonotary Warbler in a swamp.  I did less well with a Hooded Warbler, and forget the Prairie Warbler that shot past me at one point!  Other almost-hads were a Wood Duck, Blue Grosbeak, and Scarlet Tanager, all either seen fleetingly or heard only.  All told, a great deal to polish my identification skills as well as a nice day to appreciate our fleeting spring weather.

No comments: