Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Feeder Works Great, and Not

A new feeder, from Duncraft (my 24th) turned out to work just as advertised with the birds. At least five species quickly grasped the concept and started using the feeder only two days after I hung the thing out of the box. This particular feeder permits birds to eat off a tray or from a metal latticework, and holds two pounds of sunflower seed. But, it was just as easily mastered by the squirrel who was harassing my tube feeders. And based on the timestamps of photos taken by BirdCam, this feeder is much easier for them than any tube. Well, that is the way of the world. I am only hoping to stay a little ahead of the tree rats and ensure the birds get a fair portion of the seed. Adding one more feeder might help, and for now I am only going to give light thought to anti-rat measures.

No comments: