Thursday, February 18, 2010

Two Species Defy the Warbler

In spite of my pessimistic appraisal during the weekend Great Backyard Bird Count, I am relieved to see two old friends poking around near the main feeder station. A little sick leave afforded time to watch the birds today (all I could concentrate on, at least!), and seeing Eastern Bluebirds and a Hermit Thrush were a reward for that time. I was concerned that a hyper-aggressive Yellow Rumped Warbler had run both out of the area for good, for I hadn't seen either in over two weeks. But here they were. So this little part of the world is back to some semblance of normality. The Hermit Thrush is a special prize: I first encountered it January of last year, and it has been willing to visit the feeders again this winter. Next step, for me to defy a nasty virus and get myself to normality!

No comments: