Friday, February 19, 2010

The Great Backyard Bird Count

I have compiled the data from my observations during the Great Backyard Bird Count this past weekend (Feb. 12-15.) I counted for a total of five hours using as my focus the principal feeder station, a spot I assumed from experience would afford the largest number of bird visits relative to ease of observation. Here's the report for my suburban habitat, sorted by descending order of total visits:



Total species seen: 19



Yellow Rumped Warbler, maximum number of birds: 3 (134 visits) (one male was busy chasing other birds away!)



House Finch: 10 (96 visits)

Northern Cardinal: 7 (93)

House Finch: 10 (96)

American Goldfinch: 8 (65)
Slate Colored Junco: 3 (43)

Carolina Wren: 2 (34)

Brown Headed Nuthatch: 2 (23)

Tufted Titmouse: 1 (14)

Ruby Crowned Kinglet: 1 (10)

Northern Mockingbird: 1 (7)

Carolina Chickadee: 1 (7)

Pine Warbler: 1 (5)

Red Bellied Woodpecker: 1 (5)

Downy Woodpecker: 2 (3)

White Throated Sparrow: 1 (3)

Eastern Bluebird: 1 (1)

White Breasted Nuthatch: 1 (1)

Eastern Towhee: 1 (1)

Mourning Dove: 1 (1)



Well, not so good a year. There are other species who just did not show up to be counted, notable examples being Hermit Thrush, Common Flicker, Hairy Woodpecker, and American Robin, or birds I could not hear like Red Tailed Hawk and American Crow. And my troubles with the Yellow Rumped Warbler and sharp weather changes color the results. But that's how it comes down for our station in 2010. Better luck next year!

No comments: