Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bluebird Next Box Failure Understood

For three years now I have been fuming as a nest box presumably designed expressly for Bluebirds has been a complete bust with Bluebirds (except for a freak nest start in 2008.) A book by "Armchair Birder" John Yow at last has revealed the root of my idiocy. John reported that he had hung boxes at the edge of open spaces with no results, but had immediate results when a box was moved to a post inside an open area. Like him, I am going to have to get off my butt and dig that post hole. I'll leave the woods for species that prefer their privacy. While I am at it, I highly commend John's book The Armchair Birder published in 2009. It's a wonderful collection of observations, historical material, and insights that speak to birders just like me. He taught me a great lesson. I'll see if I profit by it!

No comments: