Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Final Count

Looks like I did even better with the Great Backyard Bird Count than first reported! After compiling my notes with the awesome power of MS-Excel, I find myself with 32 species through 10 hours of observation. Here's the breakdown of what I recorded over the weekend:

1. Fish Crow, maximum 32 birds
2. American Goldfinch (17)
3. Northern Cardinal (7) -- likely a little low
4. House Finch (5) -- also slightly low, I think
5. Ring Billed Gull (5) -- low, but I couldn't prove it.
6. Mourning Dove (5)
7. American Crow (4) -- see #5
8. Three recorded each for Pine Siskin, Northern Mockingbird, Slate Colored Junco, Yellow Rumped Warbler.
12. Two recorded each for American Robin, Brown Headed Nuthatch, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Downy Woodpecker, Eastern Bluebird, Red Bellied Woodpecker, Tufted Titmouse, Turkey Vulture, White Breasted Nuthatch, White Throated Sparrow
23. One recorded each for Brown Thrasher, Canada Goose, Chipping Sparrow, Common Grackle, Eastern Towhee, Hermit Thrush, Northern Flicker, Pine Warbler, Red Tailed Hawk, Red Winged Blackbird.
Missing? Definitely Purple Finch, Blue Jay, Ruby Crowned Kinglet, Hairy Woodpecker, Cooper's Hawk, all of which have visited me at some point.
On to spring! But I'm eager to do it all again next February!

No comments: