Monday, April 25, 2011

Janitorial Services

For me, Easter Sunday afternoon presented a wonderful opportunity to get out on Cary's greenways and (whilst counting users for our parks and rec. effort) observing wildlife. I started out with an immediate interesting encounter, featuring this character, the Turkey Vulture. It and two American Crows picked at a deceased rat snake in the road. In the meantime I got as close to a TV as I am likely to get, in an effort to get some photos. I hardly ever see one below a hundred feet up, and it's not one that I expect to poke around my backyard. But it is a very essential bird who helps clean up the carrion that Nature so abundantly provides. That's a dirty job, and I respect any creature that can do it. Maybe not the prettiest bird I saw yesterday, but it was the most fascinating!

No comments: