Tuesday, May 24, 2011

An Old Softy

I know, I know. I said earlier this month that I was through with the peanut feeder and that it was coming down for the summer. It's still there. And that's because a soft hearted lunk kept it up because of a Brown Headed Nuthatch. It so happens I let the feeder linger a day or two in hopes the Nuthatch might work out a few more peanuts and save me the trouble of pitching what was left. But things changed overnight. Carolina Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers, Chipping Sparrows, Carolina Wrens, and those BHN's all started tearing away and quickly drained every scrap of peanut. I filled the thing again and it's getting emptied much more briskly. So the feeder is on probation... and I'll let a few more birds feed their youngsters a little longer. What a softy!

No comments: