Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wrens in Hiding?

Following yesterday's post, reader Rich plausibly suggested that my mystery nests were built by House Wrens (Troglodytes aedon), a species that at very least is a summer resident of the Piedmont. I hadn't even considered the Houses, for the simple reason that I've never seen one here. Our wrens of the hour are Carolina Wrens (Thryothorus ludovicianus). They're easy to ID with that distinctive white eye stripe. And they are all that has shown up so far in my BirdCam extracts. I'd love to mark a House Wren on my property life list! But cruel reality sets in. Am I missing the birds somehow? are they nesting in my backyard, but hanging around another house? Or could the nests instead have been built by our hyperactive Carolinas? I do have precedent for a missed bird: a tree distinctively pockmarked by what could only have been a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, a bird I have also never seen nor heard. A new watch is on... I will definitely be scrutinizing the field marks of every wren I see. And perhaps we can reach the truth. Should be a fun project!

No comments: