Saturday, June 11, 2011

You Can Get the Photo, Perhaps

The photograph to the right is indeed lousy, but it's a first for me: a Ruby Throated Hummingbird taking nectar from a Trumpet Vine flower. One must bring several planets in line to obtain such a photo: a) having camera handy, b) having a ripe flower, c) having a hummingbird in season, d) having a hummer at the flower, and e) having patience. I had (a) through (d) this time, but (e) was exhausted after I fired away, shot after shot, all blanks but one, and the bird flew away. I have heard the pros yak about spending hours, even days, waiting for that perfect shot. I do not have that patience or time, and so my little efforts will yield misfires about 99.9% of the time. Hats off to all who can go to that next level. It's a terrific gift. But y'know, I had a wonderful time watching the bird. And if I get a photo to remember the experience, so much the better.

No comments: