Monday, August 22, 2011

Last Summer Fling at Coastal Birding

Hello dear friends, I am returned from my annual music conference and can report that I had a great time (with the music.) The birding was a little sparser, particularly given the limitations of my location on the well-developed barrier island where we stayed. But I enjoyed the feeding behavior of willets and sanderlings in the morning, and spotted such regulars as the Brown Pelican, Snowy Egret and Herring Gull, the last two in a favorite salt marsh I visit each year. The difference this year: fewer sanderlings, and groups of willets. Usually I see individual willets at this location. The real action there picks up in winter, but that will need to wait. Best of all---I had the birding almost entirely to myself! The other conferencees weren't on that page of the field guide. Tomorrow: news from the home front...


No comments: