Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Influencing Bird Art

This fall I acquired some garden ornaments in the form of birds from a fine local ceramic artist I've befriended here in Cary.  I recently asked if she has other such pieces in her inventory.  She does not, but knowing my interest in birds, asked if I could suggest some species she might cast in clay.  The challenge was irresistable.

I'm intent on representing local species (my own form of "localvoring") that might be recognizable to the general public in some way.  I am thinking of Eastern Bluebirds, Carolina Chickadees, and Eastern Towhees.  All are colorful and easily seen.  Another challenge would be the woodpecker clan and I think a Downy Woodpecker and a Red Bellied Woodpecker might be doable as challenge pieces for my artist friend. 

Come Monday I will present my list of suggestions and some decent photos to work from.  And I'll see what might emerge from the kiln and perhaps adorn my own garden.

No comments: