Thursday, February 16, 2012

Big Surprise at the Bird Bath

I got quite a pleasant surprise from today's photography at the Pedestal Bird Bath.  Thanks to the Wingscapes BirdCam I observed--for the first time ever, here---Cedar Waxwings.  This is a species I have long hoped to see on the property, but thought the conditions worked against me.  Evidently someone around here had some attractive fruiting shrubs and the Waxwings stayed around much of the day.  I counted at least 18 birds at one point in the photo frame.  And that makes sense: all of the Waxwings I have ever seen moved in large flocks.  They also had quite a thirst: despite a full bowl and rain for part of the day, the level of the birdbath actually dropped sharply by sunset.  Will I see the Waxwings again this season?  it's doubtful.  They usually move around a good deal.  But I had the happy chance to see them here at least once.

A note: Due to a family emergency I will be silent for the next several days.  Unfortunately, I also must abandon plans to join the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend.  I'll see you all on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Dave Wenning said...

Big Surprise indeed! Nice going. I have them visit the yard only once in a great while. I put out fruit, but they don't come. Maybe someday.