Friday, March 9, 2012

Moravian Birds, In a Way

Every year at this time the brilliant and adorable Jennifer and I take a little trip of at least a day trip's length to some interesting place to celebrate our Anniversary.  And this year we found ourselves in the Old Salem Museums and Gardens in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  Old Salem is a living history museum celebrating the experience of the Moravians in what they called "Wachovia" in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.  Indeed, there were costumed docents undertaking crafts etc.  but I was, as always alert to the avians.  And one species stuck out.  That would be American Robins.  They were everywhere...gardens...lawns...meadows.  Obviously the pickings were splendid.  The bird in the photo was enjoying the fact of recently turned earth in a backyard garden.  In Old Salem, I am pleased to say I saw many multiples more robins than, yes, squirrels.  (And I saw exactly one squirrel, making Old Salem as near to paradise as I could imagine.)  
Gott segne das Rotkehlchen!

No comments: