Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ferocious Cardinals

It's High Noon in cardinal land.  These now-aggressive devils have been singing up a storm all week: some of it the "Birrrr-dee Birrr-dee" variety, some the whistly "Eeer-Eeer-Eeer", and some the "Whooop Whooop Whooop".  At least three males are close by--roughly posted to my north, northeast, and southwest.  Even my bird-challenged neighbor specifically commented on the cardinals and their conspicuous repertoire.  I can't blame him: one bird is attacking his rear view mirrors!  Now, I don't think they're quite nesting.  It is hard to say but I see rather more of the females than I would expect at this point in April.  Which may explain the uber-territoriality of the males.  Whatever may be true, the males are wound tight and are letting the world know about it.

No comments: