Thursday, April 26, 2012

Leading the Young

I was invited to take on a side project for our Institute's "Bring Your Kids To Work Day".  Turns out my manager wanted me to give her two young'uns a birding walk through the office park property--a trail that allowed access to field, edge, wood, and riparian habitats.  The young men were already willing, having apparently decided I was "cool" as birder & chorister.  And so we worked said trail until the rains came...about half an hour.  What a challenge!  The little guys were a bit disappointed that birds were harder to see than hear.  But I gamely taught some mnemonics---such as "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger" for the Carolina Wren.  I am hoping they saw something valuable in the exercise, or will have enough memory of it to try again on their own time.  It's a pleasure passing on the passion. 

No comments: