Saturday, April 21, 2012

More Mischief

Last year's nest box action included two then-mystery nests in my best new boxes.  Experts pinned the blame on House Wrens, a species I hadn't come across before on the property.  Fact accepted.  This year the behavior re-emerged -- in the same two boxes(!) -- and this time I caught the perps.  House Wrens they were, and a feistier pair of birds it is hard to imagine.  The little devils scolded me as I planted some wildflowers (co-incidentally, beneath each box) and I observed them busily hauling twigs into both boxes.  My naturalist friend tells me these are likely decoy nests.  I'm of a mind to do away with the mess and allow worthier habitants to use the boxes.  But it is probably too late in this round: if the boxes are not really being used in two weeks, well, then, the cleaner shall visit!  For now, I must enjoy the mischief.

No comments: