Monday, April 30, 2012

My New Favorite Birding Site

Today I had the opportunity to visit a nearby--but very new for me--birding attraction.  Howell Woods Environmental Learning lies in the Neuse River floodplain at approximately 35.22N and 78.17W, within an hour of my home.  The site covers 2,856 acres and something like 25 miles of trails.  Today's visit only covered 3.5 miles but in the process I crossed bottomland, meadow, second growth forest, long leaf pine, and scrub habitats.  And in the process rolled up a handsome fifty species count, including jewels like this Summer Tanager, Ovenbird, Northern Parula, Yellow Breasted Chat, and Yellow Throated Vireo.  I even enjoyed an Osprey divebombing a small pond at the property's entrance!  This one is definitely a well kept secret.  I was the only birder who was recorded in the logbook during my stay.  I expect to return, as often as schedule permits!

No comments: