Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First Hummingbird of 2012

What a great day!  Even if nothing else went right -- and everything pretty much went right -- seeing the year's first hummingbird would be quite a pick-me-up.  Both encounters today involved a male bird.  The first took place as I watered the garden, and I watched with satisfaction as the hummer worked my Eastern Columbine.  This flower is exclusively pollinated by hummingbirds, so I can breathe easy with the five remaining blooms and know that the plant will prosper in coming years.  A later encounter took place at this dish feeder.  The hummingbirds don't have any trouble finding the nectar!   Only one element is lacking, which is the flowering of the Trumpet Vine.  But I am expecting that hummingbird favorite any day now.  And now summer is complete!

No comments: