Wednesday, May 2, 2012

An Interesting Pair of Youngsters

Here's an interesting photo, at least for me, taken on my hike at Howell Woods Environmental Center on Monday.  While passing along an edge habitat (between second growth pine and a mowed field) I encountered this pair of young Common Grackles.  I haven't ever seen this species at this very early level of development.  The Grackle "mob" was ensconced in the second growth and was making a heck of a racket--and avoiding me.  I'm assuming these are fledglings who haven't quite gotten the hang of powered flight.  They were not very alarmed at my presence, even if the adult birds were.  That said, I dedicated only a few minutes to photographs and study, and was on my way.  There's no need to upset things more.  Another exciting juvenile moment for me!

No comments: