Friday, November 9, 2012

Song Seems Wrong Somehow

When does a bird song seem wrong?  Of course, one doesn't expect much in winter, and in the high heat of a summer afternoon most birds would be expected to clam up.  But late fall is usually "okay", as these things go, I think, with an exception.  Our office park Song Sparrow, strangely absent in the summer months, rematerialized a week ago and has been singing away through intervals each day.  Problem for me: I have always since my young New England days, associated Song Sparrow song with spring and summer.  One just knew it was the warm season when that lovely, perky melody could be heard.  But on a cold November morning?  It just seems wrong.  But I am glad to hear it all the same.  At least I'll feel a little warmer inside.

No comments: