Sunday, February 17, 2013

GBBC: Day Three

The Great Backyard Bird Count continues with good results from our site.  Sunday saw three checks (8AM, 2PM, and 4PM) and I brought the species count for the weekend up to 28 with the addition of a Northern Flicker and a Pine Warbler.  The Pine Siskin invasion was more pronounced: I counted 52 birds in the early AM check, but happily I saw rather fewer Red Winged Blackbirds than yesterday, with a maximum of 27 individuals.  Today also confirmed the existence of at least two birds each for Downy Woodpecker, Red Breasted Nuthatch, and White Breasted Nuthatch.  I also reached a local maximum for Mourning Doves (6), Eastern Bluebirds (3), Yellow Rumped Warblers (4), and House Finches (18).  Still absent from my view were Chipping Sparrows, crows, grackles, and the elusive House Wrens, and that Baltimore Oriole I saw earlier this winter has not materialized when I watched.  Well, one more day to go and there's still a chance for building my seasonal profile.  Can't wait!

No comments: