Thursday, June 6, 2013

Quick! Duck!

From the perspective of the typical suburban, cul-de-sac resident, there is likely no more disturbing avian visitor than one of our many waterfowl species.  As a general rule they're nastier and messier than any of the passerines and their allies.  I spotted these two on the scratching ground on Wednesday morning and found them again today, at the same time, in the same location.  My first hope -- that they were drawn to some millet I am attempting to rid myself of -- has been dashed.  The drake seems interested in sunflower seed as well.  And now a major question arises as to whether we have two more pests in the neighborhood.  My only remaining hope is that, because there is simply no meaningful body of water here, that they will be occasional nuisances.  But we never really know the bird mind.  Will they visit daily? invite friends? Only time will tell.  Look out! DUCK!

No comments: