Friday, August 23, 2013

Migration Delayed, For a Good Reason

One of the joys of trimming the yard is the break afterwards, from the perch of a director's chair, and a chance to survey "the empire."  And tonight I watched considerable hummingbird activity.  Two birds--a male and a female--worked the nectar feeder without conflict.  That's always a surprise: the usual females here are extremely aggressive toward "interlopers."  But I found the male a surprise just by being present.  I figured the last of the migrants had slipped south.  But I may have a young male on my hands, possibly even the offspring of the female.  And then his delay is feasible.  No matter what, they won't be here long.  I give the last hummer perhaps two weeks and that part of summer will come to a close.

No comments: