Monday, February 17, 2014

Great Backyard Bird Count, Wrap Up

The Great Backyard Bird Count for 2014 is over, and I completed my final check this afternoon.  Overall, it has not been a spectacular year here.  I toted up 27 species (two hawks added today -- Red Tailed Hawk shown) and a minimum of 68 birds on the property.  The gold winner was American Goldfinch, with at least 15 birds.  House Finch held second place with 9, and Northern Cardinal with 8.  I was disappointed not to see certain predicted species (Pine Warbler and Northern Flicker come to mind) and bird populations seemed awfully law.  In fact for 22 species I never counted more than two birds.  My methodology has not changed, so perhaps certain environmental conditions did.  Were my feeders relatively less attractive? was weather (first icy, then moderately warm) a factor?  Tomorrow I will file my seven lists and move on.  Now I have some things to watch as spring unfolds.

No comments: