Sunday, February 16, 2014

Great Backyard Bird Count, Part II

Day three of the annual Great Backyard Bird Count is done, and I have compiled three additional checks for an overall total of five checks and 3 1/2 hours.  At this point I have counted 25 species and a minimum number of 64 birds.  The American Goldfinch (shown) is still the weekend leader (with 15 birds) and was the most counted today (9).  If we put this in Olympics terms, the silver medal leader is the House Finch (9 birds) and the bronze is in the hands of the Northern Cardinal (8).  I have yet to see a truly unusual bird and I am still missing a few plausibles (e.g. Fish Crow, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Golden Crowned Kinglet, Common Grackle, Brown Thrasher, and Pine Warbler).  It is also a relief I have not been overwhelmed by, say, Blackbirds and Siskins, as was true last year.  We're on for one last day and then I can wrap up the count.  Let's see what happens!

No comments: