Sunday, May 3, 2009

What Mounting Method To Use?

Wingscapes made possible a wide variety of techniques for mounting their BirdCam and obtaining the ideal picture. Earlier I discussed the extendable mounting arm sold by Wingscapes, which is an excellent device for mounting. Almost as often I mount the BirdCam to a standard tripod (using the screw socket in the base) for shots at more difficult angles and where a post, tree or shepherd’s crook can’t be installed, which seems to be practically everywhere in my yard! Note that a table tripod is also useful at ground level--I used one at the beach last year. A third way in is to use the bungee cords included with the camera. These are ideal when a tree is near the focal point---but anything smaller than a 1' diameter tree is really not going to work for you. Your fourth method is to hang the camera from a hook using the hanger loop at the crown of the BirdCam, although I find this option too susceptible to winds to be stable. Sometimes even these four choices don’t suffice. For example, when I’ve photographed in the Mahonia bushes the best option was leaning the BirdCam against a brick, on its back, pointed a little skyward. A brick also was great as a base when capturing pictures at my deck level platform feeder: it gave exactly enough height. Whatever gets the job done is the right answer!

No comments: