Monday, February 22, 2010

New Feeder Gets Mixed Reviews

Back in December I acquired a new feeder that didn't entirely impress me. With more than two month's experience, my verdict hasn't changed. The feeder does work wonderfully for a variety of birds, allowing them either to cling or perch as their needs dictate. And the feeder holds an impressive two pounds of sunflower seed and is easy to clean. But on the minus side the feeder has taken a brutal beating by the squirrels, both because they can more easily work this feeder than even the tubes, and because they have become adept at knocking the feeder free -- to a long fall to the ground. It did not take long for the feeder to be dented and for the perching tray to be so deformed that I occasionally need to apply the hammer-and-anvil treatment to get it back together. I am keeping this around but am disinclined to acquire another. Live and learn!

No comments: