Thursday, March 4, 2010

Brown Thrashers Back At Suet Banquet

I'm not accustomed to seeing Brown Thrashers in the winter months, although they occur in this part of the continent year-round. I'll see one occasionally in the dead of winter, but otherwise they ignore the feeder stations. Come March, they show up more often. And that has happened. I am now seeing Brown Thrashers at the suet baskets. Experience has shown them to be heavy consumers of suet once they really get going. Otherwise they're found in the underbrush, scratching for invertebrates under leaf cover. They're attractive birds, particularly because of their penetrating yellow eyes. And, for those who are fortunate to hear it, Thrashers have an impressive repertoire of songs, one that is arguably superior to that of the Mockingbirds. So I have another welcome sign of spring. And I have plenty of suet in inventory in preparation for the Thrasher feasting to come.

No comments: