Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What's It Going To Take, Wrens?

These two adorable devils (i.e. Carolina Wrens) are much on my mind these days. For it is apparently time for the annual Carolina Wren Nest Site Circus. I caught both of these characters in the garage Saturday, mere minutes after opening the door. They were presumably checking out nest location prospects. My garage has held a magnetic attraction for wrens for as long as we've owned the house. This site is entirely unacceptable (the door is closed most of the day) but I would like the wrens to nest close by. Ooh, too bad. As is typical, wrens have their own hidden agenda and my nest box offerings have been scorned for years. They did nest in a hanging planter in '05 but steadfastly rejected that and other options since. I have nine boxes up this year, and am going to hang a planter off to the side of the yard as well. We shall see if we can't rouse a better response. I am calling you out, wrens. What's it going to take?

No comments: