Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More Insights on Suet Nuggeteers

My curiosity was roused Sunday to see who is taking Hot Pepper suet nuggets (discussed in yesterday's post.) And thus the BirdCam 2.0 was moved to take in the scene of my hanging platform feeder and get some sense of who dropped by for a bite. As expected we had interest by Northern Cardinals and Yellow Rumped Warblers. I also identified in this group at least one Carolina Chickadee and an Eastern Bluebird. But far and away the leading suet raiders were Tufted Titmice. And this character was caught in the act, holding a piece of suet that is ridiculously large for its little bill. The hanging platform feeder also stocks safflower and white millet seed, and I picked up a number of seed eaters including Mourning Doves, House Finches, and American Goldfinches. This continues to be a great feeder for many kinds of birds. And so far I have kept the squirrels out. You can't beat that!

No comments: