Monday, March 8, 2010

Suet Nuggets, It's What's For Dinner

I have had very good results with these "Hot Pepper" suet nuggets produced by C & S. These nuggets are widely available around here, although not every outlet carries more than one or two formulae, hence I am obliged to stockpile this flavor whenever I see it. Why hot pepper? In a word, squirrels. The tree rats don't even like the smell of C & S's "Hot Pepper Delight" suet cakes, so it was an easy call to stock these in a hanging platform feeder. And the nuggets are readily accepted by Northern Cardinals, nuthatches, and lazy House Finches and Yellow Rumped Warblers. I am trying to accomodate birds like the Cardinals who cannot handle the hanging suet baskets. It occurred to me that I don't have solid data on what species are eating this foodstuff, so the BirdCam is aimed that way and I may have some further information shortly. What I do know is that any nuggets I put out are gone within a day or two, and I never see squirrels in that feeder, ever. Overall, Hot Pepper Nuggets are a great product and are going to be on our menu for some time.

No comments: