Saturday, April 3, 2010

Will Nesters Cotton To This?

Despite getting nearly no results in 2009, I have decided once again to string up a bag of cotton fibers for the benefit of local nest builders. I remain convinced that some interest could develop: I have found in nests lint fibers blown out the dryer vent. It may only be a case of not recognizing the potential of this strange "fruit" that holds them back. I did put it in a new location to see if that helps things. But like it or not, the most favored building materials around here are moss, cedar needles, and very small twigs. Birds are attuned to the things that naturally occur around the building site, and around here, cotton lint is not exactly normal. Well we shall see what comes. I'll keep the thing up for a few months and if it gets used, all the better.

No comments: