Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nuthatches Done For 2010

The nest box used this season by the White Breasted Nuthatches seemed quiet during the last four days. Not resisting temptation, I decided to take a closer look. And indeed,I am certain these birds finished their nesting business. There was a complete nest, such as it was, resting on the layer of pine shavings I added in winter. No signs of eggs, hatchlings, or much else. I do not know if there were hatchlings, sorry to say. What fascinated me was that this nest was made up largely of hair, and by color---and the smell(!), surely pilfered from the Gray Squirrels. And so this nest box adventure has come to an end. But I have not learned its true end. Was there a new member of the family? Perhaps in the next weeks I shall learn more.


No comments: