Monday, May 3, 2010

Suet Consumption Picks Up

The April doldrums are over, and the birds here are increasing their take of suet. This is all a definite consequence of breeding season, I am sure, having observed a sharp uptick in food take in May every year I've fed birds. This past week I am seeing more visitation by a whole gaggle of species: Carolina Wrens, Gray Catbirds, Eastern Bluebirds, woodpeckers of three kinds (Downy, Red Bellied, Flicker), Robins, White Breasted Nuthatches, and Pine Warblers. And as usual, they all want the hot pepper suet and ignore two cakes of the "peanut" alternative. I've seemingly created a Cajun Frankenstein monster in my backyard. It's a delight to see the birds flocking back to the cafe. In turn, I am hoping soon to see fledglings. Should be fun!

No comments: