Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blessings, Continued

Here's one I am mighty glad not to have on the property. Passer domesticus, the House Sparrow (or as we called it in my youth, the English Sparrow) is an aggressive, nasty tempered bird that has wormed its way across the continent since its introduction in the 1840s. My sources tell me the species reached these parts in the early 1880s and with urbanization it's more entrenched than ever. I photographed this female at our local community center, but I could easily have done so at any large building. Happily, they are not in my neighborhood and one fewer invasive (even if the invasion took place 130 years ago...) is appreciated. We deal with its buddies the "Hollywood Finch" (House Finch) and that's plenty enough damage. So no English Sparrows for me. Amen. Amen.

No comments: