Sunday, June 19, 2011

Uh Oh

It looks very much like our carefree Grackle-free days may be over. Lately we've seen a family group of these tough customers moving about the property, making extensive work of suet. I've counted five birds, more than I have ever seen before. Fortunately, I am in a position to apply the only remedy that really works with Grackles, which is to cut off the food supply for a time. And that will happen soon, something I've decided to do with respect to pesky House Finches. We need to nip this thing in the bud before the Grackles get ideas of sticking around and, worse, inviting in friends. It's red alert time!

1 comment:

Dave Wenning said...

I know exactly what you mean. It's the same here with the Starlings. They show up in hordes and gorge themselves. They don't leave until every feeder is empty. The one thing they don't seem to like is safflower seed. So far, so good around here. Good luck.